Just had my evening hike

bitec

Funny, but I never used to go out in the evenings, not even during Spring and Summer. Now I am turning into a night person again, although I still get up anywhere from 5 a.m. to sometimes as late as 9. But I just love walking in the evenings now. In the Winter when it gets dark early, I probably wouldn't walk after 5 pm, whenever it gets dark, not by myself.

I'm packing about 15-20 extra lbs. I've lost 5 lbs since I've been on SF, so a few months. I'm eating better, and actually eating more because I do this hike that is pretty strenuous, and if you are doing anything that builds/tones muscle I'm finding I have to fuel my bod. It's more like that too, it's more like fueling up then it is about burning off. I like looking at it that way because I don't constantly worry about the scale. Also, I use the measuring tape which is way more accurate.

Anyway, thought I'd toss this out there and see if there are others that enjoy walking, hiking, or something else that really builds muscle. I read about a lady in Florence Alabama and I think she was 88 at the time, but she would win these swim meets for seniors down at the Y. She also loved bicycling but it wasn't one of those road bikes, it was just a regular bike like we had when we were kids. She was so cool, and talk about in good shape.

I know lots of people have health issues and can't be as active as they want, some aren't mobile at all. I don't want to make anyone sad, I don't know what it is like to be immobile but I do know that I am slowing down. I just want to try to keep on keepin on while I can. It isn't my whole life though, it's just a part of it. Oh yes, my fave thing about walking in the hills near me, are seeing the deer, birds, and hearing the crickets.

;)

genitymd

Thanks for this enjoyable post! And thank you for giving me a boost to get busy on doing my exercises and Qi Gong once again!!
(y)

LexFerdy

I enjoyed the post about your hikes. I love to walk and see all the different trees, wildflowers, birds and occasionally
a deer or other harmless animal. These things make a walk different every time and holds my interest and I want to get out
often when weather permits.

Thanks for the encouraging post, keep telling us about your hikes and the things you see when out.

bitec

Thanks for this enjoyable post! And thank you for giving me a boost to get busy on doing my exercises and Qi Gong once again!!
(y)
Ha! this meant a lot to me. I want to be an encourager, it actually helps me feel I am doing something to help others, not just a selfish life like have led a lot of the time. I would love to hear about your routine, and it's just one step at a time, and then before we know it, we've taken lots of steps!

PS it's interesting you brought up the Qi Gong, as I understand it has a lot to do with breathing exercises. I recently learned how to breath to help with migraine, and also, amazingly, breathing exercises help me so much with stress, and learning to truly relax;) Then tonight, one of my roomies had gone to a "talk" at one of our Health-food stores. They were talking about breathing exercises as well. One thing I've found for myself, is that I need to go easy on my bod, I don't try to break any records, just easy does it works just fine;)

solidTary

Envy your 'scenic' walks Man. Sounds great!
I've been doing a daily 2 mile speed walk in the mornings, around the neighborhood. Nothing of interest to see though, ... but my knees are telling me to slow it down lately. .. sorta like the tin man.
I go out when I wake up in the morning or I wouldn't do it at all.

Does gelatin work? Maybe that's what I need.

Maxwell

I think eating right and moving is the best answer for sure.

I don't diet at my age but try to stick to healthy foods, more or less, and do stuff to justify what I do eat. I've got a lot of outdoor activity to keep me fit I think.... mowing a big yard, trimming bushes and trees all the time, and (simple) house maintenance.

I hate asking someone to help when I like to do things for myself.

But, one thing, I've gotten smart enough to know is that I shouldn't be climbing up on ladders anymore ..:D .. it's been hard to get that in my thick head!! ..lol .. been lucky so far, no accidents, but...guess I should stick to walking.... Will check on the gelatin.

bitec

Envy your 'scenic' walks Man. Sounds great!
I've been doing a daily 2 mile speed walk in the mornings, around the neighborhood. Nothing of interest to see though, ... but my knees are telling me to slow it down lately. .. sorta like the tin man.
I go out when I wake up in the morning or I wouldn't do it at all.

Does gelatin work? Maybe that's what I need.
I can't say for sure on the gelatin and joints, not for myself I can't say. But I have read rave reviews, and results on using it. I know of a fellow who shared with me how he's trying it. He started on it I think in his mid 60's. The doctors told him he had no cartilage, and needed surgeries (yes, plural). He said no, and just went out determined to find something less invasive.

He got started on the gelatin, and at 71, he has zero pain. The gelatin is of course helping my nails, that where I noticed it most, after about 3 weeks, also, I noticed my skin being softer. I will keep taking it because I know it has good effects on people. I think it is a combination of things for me. The walking, the foods (NOOO diets, or skimping on calories, no way, it's just good choices of what I eat).

I commend you on your walking. You are like me, I listen to my body, and if it says slow down, I do. I so wish I could say "take this, all pain will be gone" but natural things like gelatin, or nutrition take time.

I am like everyone else, I want it all now, but I'm learning baby steps will get me to feeling better.

I read a lot, specifically on natural remedies. It's becoming a life-style, not just a quick fix that doesn't last. At the same time, I can't tell you I won't stop taking care of myself, I just am doing well for today;)

I will have to share some of the things I eat.

One thing I am proving for myself is that cutting calories til I am so starved I pig a bag of potato chips, is not the answer for me, I eat, I just move too!!

LOL;) hugs,